Simona Halep, formerly the number one player in the world of tennis, stated on Thursday via social media that she will not be returning to competition in 2018. Help is currently recovering from nose surgery.
She posted a photo of herself with her nose bandaged on Instagram alongside a caption that read, “I do not know how long the recovery will last but for the moment, I only want to think about that and, what is certain, is that I will not be able to participate in an official tournament this year.” In the caption, she said, “I do not know how long the recovery will last but for the moment, I only want to think about that.”
The 30-year-old woman had already made it known on Monday that she should take a break from work for a few weeks, but she did not specify how long the break would last.
She had been suffering “for some time” from breathing problems, which had gotten worse during the summer. As a result, she decided to have surgery, along with plastic surgery, to improve her appearance. She is currently ranked ninth in the world.
Simona Halep, who had previously triumphed at Roland-Garros in 2018 and Wimbledon in 2019, was eliminated in the second round of Roland-Garros at the end of May, during which she appeared to be out of breath and was forced to contact a physician.
Despite this, she triumphed over the Brazilian Beatriz Haddad Maia to take home the WTA 1000 title in Toronto in August of last year (6-3, 2-6, 6-3).
More recently, she was knocked out of the US Open by the Ukrainian Daria Snigur in the first round, but she advanced through the qualifying.
“When I lost, I knew that I was utterly mentally fatigued,” she adds. “When I won, I discovered that I was psychologically exhausted.”
Before concluding, he said, “My 2022 season is finished. “We’ll catch up with you on the courts in 2023!”